Monday, September 26, 2011

Volunteering


Since I've moved to the West coast I've been looking for opportunities to volunteer again. I might not always have extra funds to help out, but time is something that I definitely have available to give. Before we moved, I had a chance to volunteer with a horse rescue that worked with the state of Maryland to rescue and rehabilitate horses, as well as document the case for possible prosecution. I didn't get to help as much as I would have liked before we left, but it was still very gratifying work. As I was a competitive equestrian when I was younger, I loved getting the chance to work with horses again.

Looking for new opportunities here though has been a bit of a challenge. I'm more of an animal person than a people person, and even then I tend to be a bleeding heart so something like volunteering at the local shelter where we adopted Daisy and Ivanka would be very hard for me. I recently attended a volunteer orientation for a local group that offers therapeutic riding for disabled people of all ages. However, I was hoping to help out more on the equine side of things, and there just don't seem to be any opportunities in that vein. I have asked them to keep me in mind for other jobs that might be a better suit for me like office work (a secret favorite of mine actually), but I'd still like to keep my eyes out for something that would be a great fit.

I'd love to know if any of my readers volunteer! What sort of causes do you like to support and how?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Lollipop